Thursday, January 22, 2009

This Is The Espanyol We All Want - Mauricio Pochettino

Mauricio Pochettino was delighted with Espanyol's performance in his first game in charge against Barcelona as he only had a few hours to motivate his new team.

The former Argentina international replaced Mané earlier in the week and had to use his team speech to shape the Blanc i Blau side ahead of playing their local rivals in the Copa del Rey.

A goalless draw was a creditable result for an Espanyol team that have tasted so many defeats this term, leaving Pochettino was pleased with the determination and desire shown.

"This is the Espanyol that everyone wants, myself above all. The players felt like players again and, leaving aside the result, I enjoyed the spirit that the team has shown," he told reporters after the game.

"Since the first kick we were on the up. We set ourselves up to stop them playing and to push them and make them have to play long balls.

"That aspect pleased me in addition to the football the team produced, as much going forward as in defence.

"We said a lot in the dressing room, a great deal, and it is impossible to summarise that in a press conference. What I can say is that I have squad that want to do well and want to wear the Espanyol shirt."

Pochettino revealed that he did not ask for anything when he accepted the responsibility of keeping Espanyol in the Spanish top flight.

"I accepted the job without conditions and did not say I would join if four, five or ten new players came. I agreed because I have faith in the squad. With the help of everyone we can move forward," he added.

Lucas Brown, Goal.com