Saturday, January 24, 2009

Villar Mir: Real Madrid Must Hold Elections Now

Juan Miguel Villar Mir believes that he was the moral-winner of Real Madrid's last presidential elections and thinks that the club should find a new leader immediately.

While question marks still surround Ramón Calderón's victory in 2006 as the postal vote was never counted, the man that finished second could consider another run for the top spot this time.

After being backed by Florentino Pérez three years ago, this time Villar Mir maybe up against his good friend although he will have his own ideas.

"I have not decided on my position yet, but when the time comes I will," he told Radio Marca.

"I think that Real Madrid should hold elections as soon as possible. The club needs complete stability and it has to be done quickly.

"Florentino and I are friends, but we are different people.

"I consider myself to be the moral-winner of the last elections, although the counting of the absentee ballot has never been done."

Calderón resigned recently after a voting scandal at the club's general assembly and an interim board has been installed until elections take place in summer.

Lucas Brown, Goal.com