Saturday, January 24, 2009

Liverpool Midfielder Alonso Wants First Wembley Date

Xabi Alonso is hoping Liverpool slay Everton in the concluding game of their derby double, as it would mean progression into the fifth round of the FA Cup.

Alonso has fond memories of the competition, having won it in 2006 at Cardiff's Millenium Stadium, but wants to get to the final again this season because it would be his first Wembley date.

"I've never played at Wembley. Hopefully I can do that with Liverpool," he explained in LFC magazine.

"I would like to have played at the old Wembley before it was knocked down. For me, it looked like a stadium with a lot of charm. It always looked really special. Whenever I watched a game there it looked like a great place to play football.

"It would have been great to say I had played there but instead I am now looking forward to playing at the new Wembley. It also looks really good."

Liverpool have contested some of the most thrilling finals in recent years, including the 3-3 penalty shoot-out over West Ham in the FA Cupl in 2006 and the overturning of Milan in the Champions League in 2005.

"It is great that I can say I have won the FA Cup. It is a very important trophy in England and is known across Europe.

"But in terms of my achievements so far, I would probably have to put the Champions League win up there first.

"I hadn't won anything before I came to Liverpool. I came second in the league with Real Sociedad but never actually won a trophy.

"This is one of the reasons that the first one was really special - the Champions League final in Istanbul."

Liverpool host Everton in the FA Cup on Sunday, the game kicks off at 16:00 GMT.

Alan Dawson, Goal.com