Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Marcelo: I Didn’t Mean Any Disrespect To Real Madrid Fans

Real Madrid leftback, Marcelo, made a cameo appearance last weekend in the 3-1 win over Osasuna when he came on as a substitute in the final 15 minutes of the game to replace Gonzalo Higuaín.

The Brazilian, however, did not get the most welcoming of receptions from the Bernabéu faithful when he was whistled as he made his way onto the pitch. And during the post-match interview, he revealed that he did not care if the fans do jeer him, a remark which he thinks was misunderstood.

“I’ve read that some people believe I don’t respect the fans’ opinions, but that is not true. I may have expressed myself wrong, because I have great respect for every fan that supports the team.

“What I meant to say the other day was that the whistles and boos doesn’t affect my performance. I am a professional who works hard every day to improve and I work for my club, my family and my fans.

“I don’t want people to doubt this, especially when I’m playing for a great club in which I want to grow as a player. I meant that I don’t care much for whistles in that sense.

“The people of Madrid are very affectionate with me and the fans are usually nice to me at the stadium. I am delighted with the fans at the Bernabéu,” he added.

The 20-year-old was then asked if he would feel secure playing in midfield again in the future and he left no doubt that he is relishing the challenge.

“I have played at left midfield before with Brazil and Fluminense, and I feel comfortable in that position,” he told the club’s official website.

“Everyone close to me knows that I always like to be involved in attack and I will always do what to coach asks of me,” he concluded.

KS Leong, Goal.com