Saturday, January 31, 2009

Atlético Madrid's Johnny Heitinga Unconcerned By Criticism

Johnny Heitinga has declared today that he is not concerned by the criticism he has received from various sections of the press lately.

The Dutch international has at times looked clumsy and tactically unsure, giving away a number of penalties in his six months with Atlético Madrid. However, he has told Marca that he is just the same player he ever was.

"I am the same Heitinga,” he affirmed. “I have had a little bad luck with my knee injury, but I am strong, I am always going to give 100% each match, and I am not going to change."

"I am aware of when I play well and when I do it badly...It does not matter to me when the press criticise or write about me; that is part of football. It did me good to score the other day [against Málaga]. I am well and I wish to continue and give my best for the team."

Heitinga should be fit to play this weekend against Valladolid; a game that Atlético will feel they need to win after two consecutive home defeats this year.

The defender has acknowledged that there is pressure on him but has stated that is because expectations are high at the club.

"There is always pressure from the fans because we have a very good team," he declared.

"We want to finish in the top four, and there is pressure. I have played in the Ajax first team for seven years and there was pressure there too - I am used to it. The Atlético fans support us every game and we are going to give our all."

Heitinga also spoke briefly about his Dutch compatriot Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, who he described as a "great forward."

"He has scored many goals in the Dutch league and with the national team. When one signs half-way through a season it is always tough because it is never easy in a new team. But he is a great forward and has a great future," he concluded.

James Walker-Roberts, Goal.com




Newcastle United After Atlético Madrid’s Luis García - Reports
Raúl Hoping Real Madrid Focus Shifts To The Pitch
De Rosario excited to return home
Sanneh hopeful for one more shot in LA