Thursday, January 29, 2009

Raúl Hoping Real Madrid Focus Shifts To The Pitch

Real Madrid might be doing good things on the pitch at the moment, but most of the attention in the press is being devoted to their exploits off it, with presidential elections and potential signings the main focus.

Today, Madrid captain, and veteran striker, Raúl, has said that he hopes the attention does shift back to the pitch.

"At the moment, the general public may have a false impression about what Real Madrid is really like on the inside. I hope that this situation improves in the coming months and the attention will be focused on the action on the pitch and not off it. I think it's the least this club deserves," he said at a press conference.

"There are some situations you cannot control and it's clear that, with all that has gone on recently, the image of the club has suffered and we're not happy about that."

However, whilst things have suffered off the pitch, they have improved on it, as Real Madrid look like the only team capable of catching Barcelona.

Their last victory came thanks to a single goal from Raúl, and he admitted today that he didn't score it in the most conventional manner.

"Sometimes you do score some unusual goals. It was a really long ball and I just about got my head to it - it actually hurt a little bit," he mused.

"The others were saying, 'Did you touch it? Did you get your head to it?' and I said 'Yes, yes, look,' and I showed them my ear was red. But at the end of the day, what's important is the three points and maintaining the good run that we're in - one which I hope we can continue."

The goal from Raúl put him to within just one of equaling the record set by Alfredo di Stéfano, and he acknowledged that breaking it will be special.

"Alfredo di Stéfano and I speak regularly, but we've not talked about the subject of our goal records. I don't really think about it, but when the moment comes I'll be sure to savour it, and I'll be thinking of Don Alfredo, because he's a huge symbol for this club," he declared.

"Di Stefano is the president of honour here and he was one of the best players in the world - for many, the best. On a personal note, I will be very proud for my name being close to his in the record books. I aim to keep scoring more goals and I aim to do so for the good of the club. That's what's important to me."

James Walker-Roberts, Goal.com


No real surprises at MLS SuperDraft
Antonio Hidalgo Looking For Playing Time With Osasuna
De Rosario excited to return home