Monday, July 28, 2008

Edu: This Is The Year

The much-maligned Brazilian scored the only goal of the match in a pre-season friendly at VfL Bochum, and has thus set his sights on future successes.

"I'm very happy here in Valencia, and this season I intend to prove all that I am capable of.

"My only thoughts are about remaining calm and doing well in pre-season."

Edu and his teammates are currently still embroiled in drama as boardroom rumblings unsetle the club, but the ex-Arsenal man has opted to focus on the positivity on the training pitch.

"At the moment, [new manager Unai] Emery is making us all feel good," explained the midfielder.

"At Valencia, I've only known a few coaches to act as he do. He gives us positivity and really makes us want to progress.

"He isn't one to give prominence to one player or another: he wants a strong squad and now we want to prove that we have one.

"My goal at Bochum? I'm glad to have started off by scoring and playing well. In truth, I thought it was a pretty nice strike."

Edu, 30, arrived at Valencia in 2005 after spending five seasons with the Gunners. Previously he represented Corinthians in his home country.

Despite having spent the best part of three years at Los Che he has made just 29 Liga appearances for the Mestalla side.


MSV held in Bochum
Palops Hopes For Double Seville Victory