Thursday, July 31, 2008

Arteta: I'm Sticking With The Toffees

Arteta has been strongly linked with a return to his native Spain in recent months, after spending some time in his homeland this year to undergo treatment on a stomach-muscle injury.

Atletico Madrid are reported to be the 26-year-old's most ardent suitors, as Javier Aguirre seeks to bolster his squad ahead of their long-awaited return to the Champions League.

Further doubts were raised over the Basque playmaker's future in England when it appeared his childhood friend and neighbour, Xabi Alonso, would leave Liverpool, as it was feared Arteta could follow suit.

But Alonso's proposed move to Juventus has collapsed, and Arteta has made it clear that he is fully committed to the Toffees and has no desire to leave Goodison Park - yet.

"I always say - and I don't know how many times I have to say - that I'm so happy here and I have no intention to leave," the ex-Rangers man told Everton's official website.

"As I always say, one day I would like to get back to Spain before I end my career - maybe one or two years over there.

"But you never know, at the moment I'm not thinking about leaving because I'm so happy here - and I've been very happy since I joined the club. I want to stay here and I'm so happy and proud I am part of this club."


Villa Glad To Make History
Alonso impressed by Juve
Toffees eye Joaquin