Monday, October 27, 2008

I Was Rested To Avoid Injury - Agüero

Atlético Madrid and Sergio Agüero started the season in impressive form but recently both of them have tailed off a little, the latter more understandably as he has suffered from playing too many games when not fully fit.

He finally got a chance to rest against Villarreal last night though and he says he spoke with the manager and they agreed it was the best thing to do.

"I talked with the manager during the week and he said he was going to give me a little rest against Liverpool and Villarreal," he explained, "It was good for me. I always want to play but he said I should break so I do not miss a month or two. Now I wait for next Saturday and hope to be well."

"The reason was I have played many games and if I played one or two more I could have injured myself. I spoke with the coach, decided to be on the bench and to train well this week and be ready for next weekend," said the Argentine.

Agüero watched from the sidelines as his side staged a remarkable comeback to draw 4-4 with Villarreal after been 4-2 down and he said that whilst the aim was to win it was important they didn't lose.

"A point was taken and that is important. We went with the objective to win but we were not able. Now more than ever we need to win our next two games (against Mallorca and Osasuna) to go up the table," he opined.


Aguirre: Agüero Is Not 100%
Rested Revs shoot for clean sheet