Thursday, October 23, 2008

I Could Not Be Happier - Llorente

After making the move from Valladolid to Villarreal this summer there were fears that Joseba Llorente would struggle to adapt, and whilst that might have been true at first, he is certainly finding his feet now.

The Spaniard has scored three times in seven league matches this season and bagged a hat-trick against AaB Aalborg in the Champions League midweek to cement his credentials as a top striker. Speaking today he says he could not be happier with the way things are going.

"I could not be happier, things are turning out well and I couldn't ask for any more," he said, "It is difficult to explain what happened against Aalborg, it seemed that it would be easy but in the end it was hard work to obtain victory."

"Arriving at a team like this and getting a starting place and confidence is difficult but that is earned by scoring goals and working hard. I am a forward and I am always going to try to be in the area to score," said the Basque.

Indeed, Llorente joined with a large reputation from Valladolid after scoring 42 goals in 100 games for them and he said he earnt the move by finding the net and working.

"In the end I am progressing as a footballer, but little by little. It is not just that I scored 25 in a season for Valladolid but that I was scoring each year and the move to Villarreal is because of that and I am enjoying it. People will always favour the stikers who do the tricks and bicycle kicks but I don't do that because it's not me," he said today.

It has been a big step up for the striker not just in terms of the players around him in the league but also playing in the Champions League. After his hat-trick in midweek he acknowledged that is is a very different experience to that he is used to.

"In this competition there is a whole new dimension. The league is the best in the world but the Champions League is another step up and has different meaning. The environment at night each week is great but I try to keep my feet on the ground," he concluded.


Pablo Remaining Positive
United hoping to add regional glory
Revs on wrong side of history