Thursday, October 30, 2008

Monzón Hails 'Change Of Spirit'

With some star signings made over the summer Real Betis were supposed to be the surprise package this season but they failed to shine from the start.

Only recently, with two straight wins in the league, have they looked anything bordering on impressive but there does finally seem to be some belief amongst the side. Speaking today defender Luciano Monzón, who was one of those expensive summer signings, said there is a change of spirit in the squad.

"The spirit has changed in the side and on Sunday [against Deportivo] we are going to try to win again," he started, "All the teams always try to do their best but we have the advantage of playing at home this week. The last thing that we were failing in was scoring and now we are doing that. To win would be a very good result for us apart from just getting confidence."

Monzón has only started one game for Betis in the league so far but he was a part of the team that beat Castellón in the Copa Del Rey to record the third straight win for Los Verdiblancos and he said they had to win the game.

"We had to win as it was an opportunity for us. We played very well in the midfield, I had a few complications because I had no-one to defend me but it was a result we had to get because we knew it was an important team."

"I want to remain here and I am very relaxed because I know that I am doing things very well. I am having a very good year but one must compete at all clubs and I believe I am playing a good role in the games I am involved in," he concluded.


Real answer coach’s challenge
Leo Franco: We Must Not Lose League Focus