Saturday, October 18, 2008

Henry: I Cannot Believe Iniesta Is Not Up For The Balon D'Or

Thierry Henry has won his fair share of personal awards in his career and today he expressed his disbelief that one of his team-mates is not up for the coveted Balon D'Or this year.

Speaking about Andrés Iniesta the Frenchman said that even though the goal he scored against Belgium was quite amazing he was not surprised as he sees it every day in training.

"Andrés is a player who does his work in a quiet way, without noise, and people do not note it," he started, "I already knew before I came here that he is a footballer, who when he is on the pitch, makes Barcelona play better."

"I am not surprised to see the goal against Belgium, I have the luck to see it every day and there are few players in the middle of the pitch who can do that. I cannot believe he is not in the list of candidates for the Balon D'Or," said Henry.

Iniesta has indeed been one of Barcelona's best players over the past few seasons but Henry on the other hand has struggled to adapt to life in Catalonia. He has been played out of position and left on the bench and today he tried to put an end to the debate about his favoured position.

"I prefer to play in the middle [of a three-pronged attack] but I can play and participate on the left wing. I have played for France there just like I have here. The debate has to stop," he requested.

Henry looks like being a starter for Barcelona's game away at Athletic Bilbao and he seems to have a lot of admiration for the atmosphere at San Mamés.

"I have played a game their and the atmosphere was very hot. It is never easy to play away games after internationals but we still have to go and win," he concluded.


Schelotto continues torrid play in win over Revs
Player Ratings: Barcelona 3-1 Sporting