Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hierro: Raul Is My Friend, But I Don’t Pick The Team

The Spanish Football Federation underwent a considerable change in the technical staff in September, with Real Madrid icon at the head of this revolution. In an interview with Marca, the new sporting director shed light on the selection process.

“It is understood that the European Championship victory has provided peace & tranquillity. I have a very respectful relationship with Luis Aragones, but I am not going to think about the past. I have not considered the past when electing coaches”, he said.

Continuing, Hierro stated, “Raul knows that the sporting director has no influence on the squad selection. Of course I have an opinion but it is a matter for the coach.”

Raul has not pulled on the red jersey of the Selección since the humiliating loss to Northern Ireland in September 2006.


Mathis makes return to Real Salt Lake
Mijatovic: Keep Up The Rotation, Bernd
La Liga Preview: Mallorca - Sporting
McCarty bringing Olympic experience home