Saturday, May 1, 2010

Ronaldo - I will move on

Ronaldo - I will move on

Cristiano Ronaldo is already plotting to leave Real Madrid as 'football is all about cycles'.

The Portuguese playmaker only moved to the Santiago Bernabeu last summer for a world-record transfer fee of Ј80million.

But the star believes he will eventually have to move on to seek fresh challenges, just as he did after winning countless trophies with Manchester United.

He said: "Football is all about cycles. I believe that you are in teams for cycles.

"If you have already won everything with a team you have to change and that's what happened to me with United.

Different goals

"I wanted different football and different goals and I am very happy to have taken this decision. Alex Ferguson understood my decision. I continue to talk to him.

"I spent several years wanting to play in Madrid. But I don't see myself here at 40.

"You are in teams for cycles."

Real are currently second in La Liga behind arch-rivals Barcelona, despite an investment of more than Ј200million last summer recruiting the likes of Ronaldo and fellow playmaker Kaka.

While Manuel Pellegrini's men face the very real prospect of ending the year without a trophy, Ronaldo is confident this will not be the case.

He hopes Inter Milan can do his side a favour by knocking Barcelona out of the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday, as he believes the Catalans will then suffer an adverse reaction domestically.

Barcelona go into the semi-final second leg tie 3-1 down as they seek to reach the final against Bayern Munich in the Bernabeu.

Incredible game

In an interview with Cadena Cope , Ronaldo added: "It will be an incredible game. It will be difficult for both of them.

"Barca has to come back and Inter have to defend the two goals.

"It's very difficult to know who I want to win, although I would prefer Barca to lose and be eliminated.

"I am from Real Madrid and I like my club and if Barcelona crash out of Europe it would be something that could affect them in the league and which we could take advantage of.

"It would be a bad year if we don't win the league because a club like this has to always win something every year.

"Not winning this year wouldn't be a failure, but it would be a lost year. But I am confident we can win the league."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}La Liga 2009/10 Win Outright: Real Madrid 2/1

Ronaldo - Jose is Real dealEuro Roundup: Man U overtake Chelsea, Hull almost surely done