Sunday, May 9, 2010

Pires set to depart Spain

Pires set to depart Spain

Villarreal midfielder Robert Pires is set to leave the club after being told he will not have his contract extended beyond the end of the season.

The Frenchman, who signed from Arsenal four years ago, has been deemed surplus to requirements and will leave the Madrigal Stadium one the current campaign ends.

The 37-year-old, a former PFA player of the year in his time with the Gunners, admitted he was unsure of his next move, but had plenty of time to make a decision over it.

"I spoke with the club yesterday and they told me they weren't going to keep me on because they were changing their philosophy for next year," he said.

"I accept the decision because I knew my adventure at Villarreal would have to end one day."

Unsure

The former France international played a key role in giving the Yellow Submarines their highest ever finish in 2008, where they came second behind Real Madrid, and was grateful he had been given the chance to play in Spain.

"I am pleased to have been able to play in the Spanish league before retiring, and want to thank the club and the fans," Pires added.

"I don't know about my future yet because I have just finished talking to the club.

"Now all I'm focused on helping Villarreal and then I'll go on holiday when I'll time to think about which team I could play for."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}Villarreal v Valencia. Click here to bet.

Pires demands answersLe Toux blossoming up top for Philly