Sunday, May 30, 2010

Merida thankful to Wenger

Merida thankful to Wenger

Fran Merida admits he will be 'eternally grateful' to Arsene Wenger for helping to mould his career.

The Spanish starlet bid farewell to the Frenchman on Tuesday when he brought to an end a four-year stay at Arsenal.

The 20-year-old midfielder agreed a switch to Atletico Madrid, where he was officially unveiled on Friday.

Merida admits the opportunity to join the 2010 Europa League winners was too good to turn down, with opportunities proving limited at Emirates Stadium.

"There are circumstances in life," he said.

Comfortable

"I was very comfortable at Arsenal, but with the interest of Atletico I did not hesitate.

"I talked to my agent and I told him to deal with such an offer."

Merida's contract in north London was set to expire at the end of June, with no sign of an extension, but he admits his time spent in England has helped to make him a better player.

"Wenger looked after me and my family since I arrived in London," Merida continued.

"I have a very good relationship with him.

Gentleman

"I am and I will be eternally grateful.

"Obviously he is not pleased with my departure, but he wished me luck and behaved like a gentleman."

Merida believes his game will be better suited to the slower pace of the Primera Liga, with the Spanish top flight more about technique than cut and thrust.

He added on Atletico's official website : "The English league is more physical - very strong players with a very direct game. The Spanish league has a lot of quality and will benefit my game.

"I am proud to wear the red and white shirt. I will give everything for the team."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}

Champions League final goes mainstream in USAtletico starlet snubbed Wigan