Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Benzema - I'm staying at Real

Benzema - Im staying at Real

Karim Benzema has dismissed reports linking him with a move to Manchester United and claims that he is happy at Real Madrid.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson made it clear that the former Lyon striker was his top transfer target last summer, but the France international snubbed the advances of the Premier League champions for a €35 million move to Real.

However, the 22-year-old has seen his appearances limited at the Bernabeu, scoring just seven goals in 24 appearances for Real, and is at the bottom of an illustrious pecking order which includes big-money signings Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka as well as Raul and Gonzalo Higuain.

Despite a difficult first season with Manuel Pellegrini's men, Benzema is determined to stay and battle for his place in the starting XI.

He told L'Equipe : "I can't see my first season at Real as a failure. Of course, I would have preferred it to go more smoothly, but I played.

"And when you see a man like Raul on the bench you learn a lot.

"I didn't come for one season. I signed for six years and everyone at the club trusts me."

No regrets

With United striker Dimitar Berbatov struggling for form, rumours are rife that Ferguson is set to launch another bid to lure the France international to the Premier League.

But Benzema claims that he has no regrets and is committed to improving on his form next season.

He added: "Do I regret not signing for Manchester United? No. I dreamt about Real, that's all.

"It was a first season to learn. I didn't know what a season abroad was. Now I know, and next term, from the very first day, I will be at my very best. I don't want to leave.

"I don't think the club wants to see me leave. I want to make a name for myself."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}La Liga 2009/10 Win Outright: Real Madrid 9/4

Benzema happy at RealEuro Roundup: Man U overtake Chelsea, Hull almost surely done