Friday, September 12, 2008

Messi Won't Rise To Maradona Bait

Messi is seen by some as the 'new Maradona', and certainly Diego has in the past praised the 21-year-old heartily.

However, this week he said to Fox Sports: "Messi at times plays only for Messi. He forgets about his team-mates. If he played more along with Agüero and Riquelme then the scoreboard could be a lot better." (Agüero, of course, is effectively Maradona's son-in-law.)

Some felt that this would cause Messi to go on the defensive, but as he returned to Spain from international duty in Latin America he remained calm.

"It doesn't matter to me," he told reporters at Barcelona airport.

"I'm used to Diego talking about me. He always has things to say about me, but I don't have a problem."

He further went on to state that he won't change his method of play based on what he'd heard.

"I have no problem at all - I'm as secure in my playing as always," he concluded.

Messi did not train with the rest of the FCB squad this morning, with he and Martín Cáceres not arriving at La Masia in time to join the session. It is expected that he will take to the pitch this afternoon instead.


I Am As Good As Messi And Aguero - Giovinco
Ekpo, Nigeria excited for shot at gold