Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Was Annoyed With Myself - Granero

The last game of the weekend in La Liga might not have featured loads of goals but it certainly wasn't short of incidents; a red-card, an apparent dive for the sending-off, a stunning volley and a frustrated substitution meant that it had a lot of talking points post-match.

The latter of the incidents involved arguably Getafe's best player on the night, Esteban Granero, who was taken off half way through the second-half much to his obvious disbelief. The midfielder explained today though that his annoyance was not with his coach but rather with himself for not contributing more.

"The annoyance has been misinterpreted," he began.

"It was with myself more than anyone else. It was a very tense game, I wanted to be on the pitch and it irked me at not being able to be there. I wanted to contribute to the team more than I did.

"I agree that the gesture was not good, to those who felt offended or who I damaged at the club, I am sorry."

The midfielder also responded to comments made by Cosmin Contra, insinuating that the team spirit was not as good as previous years, and said that 'the jokes are the same as before' and that there were good feelings in the squad.

Finally he was asked by Marca about some of the negative criticism that has appeared around the team and their style of play this year. He said that he does not think it is any different from before and that they are actually doing better than last season.

"One must not take things out of context because if you compare this year to last we have more points and more goals," he explained.

"I do not believe the style has changed much from last season, at the beginning it is difficult always and results are important. The coach has said never said for us not to play football, he doesn't say don't do it."


Mijatovic: Keep Up The Rotation, Bernd
Patient Pablo Waiting For Opportunities
Revs frustrated with missed opportunity