Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Deportivo's Aranzubia Sad To See Bilbao Suffer

Loyalty and love aren't words used much in the modern game of football, but it's fair to say that Daniel Aranzubia feels a little bit of both towards Athletic Bilbao.

The goalkeeper spent fourteen years at the Basque club before moving to Deportivo La Coruña this summer, and after helping his new club to beat his former one at the weekend, he is mixed in his emotions.

"I am more happy than sad but it does aggrieve me to beat Bilbao and, above all, to see them in such a difficult situation," he told Marca.

"What was important for me and the group though was to get the three points and I am very happy we managed to do that."

Aranzubia played a major part in beating Bilbao by keeping out a penalty from Andoni Iraola and also making some key saves from their strikers. He says that the penalty was tough for both players and that he was congratulated by the Bilbao staff afterwards.

"The penalty was difficult because in the same way that I know where he likes to shoot, he knows that I know that, and in the end there is just a multitude of thoughts and I managed to get lucky," he mused.

"I was in the dressing room and I greeted everyone and they all congratulated me afterwards."

Deportivo will hope to go from strength to strength this week as they welcome Feyenoord to the Riazor in the UEFA Cup. Aranzubia says that he is more than aware of the threat posed by the Dutch side, but he thinks his team should be able to beat them if they play like they did on Sunday.

"On Thursday we expect to repeat the way we played at the weekend and I think that if we do that we will not have any problems," declared the 'keeper.

"Victory will be important because it would leave Feyenoord without many options of going through."


Deportivo Boss Lotina: We Were Too Soft
Victorine leads new mates past old ones