Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Aguirre Comfortable Despite Criticism

It is no secret that Atlético Madrid are going through trying times and no-one is under more pressure at the club than coach Javier Aguirre at the moment. The Mexican has come under stern criticism for his recent team selection against Osasuna, which meant leaving Diego Forlán on the bench for the first-half, and has been accused of focusing too much on the Champions League.

Speaking to Spanish daily Marca today the coach says that he feels comfortable, although he is the first to accept things are not going great right now.

"I am well. The positive and negative criticism is of the results which has no reason to affect me because I am always here, when we win I speak and when we lose also," he declared.

"I am self-critical, I always have been, and I seek the best for the club without any doubt. I never think about my personal benefit and whatever goes wrong at the club goes wrong with me too.

"During these two-and-a-half years I have said that I have made mistakes a pile of times. I am not the type to not recognise errors in alignments, tactical approaches...I am the first one to know when things go well and when they go badly."

Whether or not Aguirre knows that something is wrong seems minor though, the most pressing issue is whether or not he can actually solve the problems. One such problem is the contrasting form between the league and the Champions League, and whilst the coach said it was his choice who he played in games, he did say his goal was ultimately to stay in the latter.

"One of my obligations is to try and take this team to the best possible place and this year our goal is to remain in the Champions League," he mused.

"Another obligation is to manage and one of my rights is to decide the players I have, that the club already has, and to put them where I believe they will play best; the eleven that I believe will be best on that day. I always do it thinking about the best for the team and my obligation is that the team plays well and reach the goal."

The next test for Atlético and Aguirre is Orihuela in the Copa Del Rey this week and the coach knows that the Segunda División B - Group 3 side will come to the capital with no fear after just a one goal defeat in the first leg.

"Orihuela will come with a clear conscience because they do not have anything to lose and everything to win," he said.

"They will try to play good football in a Primera División stadium against a great team like Atlético and will come without pressure. We have to handle the emotions, the stages of the game and to qualify for the next round."


Cerezo Assures Aguirre Will Stay
Twist of fate pays off for De Rosario
Rolfe leads inspired Fire effort