Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Pellegrini: I Want To Coach Chile One Day

There is no doubt that in terms of money spent and success gained, Villarreal are up there with the best in Spain at the moment. Last season they finished ahead of Barcelona and this time around they are competing just as well in the league, mainly thanks to their coach, Manuel Pellegrini.

The Chilean took over back in 2004 and since then he has turned them into a title challenging side, who have perhaps looked the part this year more than ever. Speaking to Marca, he says that he still wants to achieve more with his team, though.

"We have had a great year and we are all very happy, but our ambition is that in the next game we maintain our level and therefore I continue with the ambition and desire to continue with this side and keep it growing," he mused.

"My work in Spain has pleased me very much. Five years in this football for a South American coach is not easy but, by more than just the individual product, I am very pleased with what the team has achieved."

Pellegrini has been hailed as one of the best coaches in La Liga recently and hence it is little surprise that Villarreal want to renew his contract, something that would make him proud.

"It is true that here we do not have the same budget as some clubs but with ingenuity and work we have closed the gap," he declared.

"For me to remain is a great happiness because I am very comfortable and it will always give me pride."

Whilst the coach says that he would like to stay at Villarreal he also didn't rule out a move and said that one day he wants to oversee the Chilean international team.

"I feel that my career is still in Europe. This is changing and you do not know what can happen in three months but for now my career is here," he opined.

"I have a contract in force but someday I would like to direct the Chilean national team. To take charge of a project for four years and to be able to contribute something of mine to the team."


Hoops bring GK Sala back into fold
United need result to secure standing
Pellegrini: Being First Is Not The Obsession, Winning Is!