Sunday, November 15, 2009

Marquez set to sign on

Marquez set to sign on

Barcelona's Rafael Marquez claims his protracted contract negotiations are close to reaching a conclusion.

The Mexican defender has been in talks with the Catalan giants for some time, without actually signing any paperwork.

It is believed that the length of the terms on offer initially proved to be a sticking point for both parties.

It appears a compromise has been reached, though, as Marquez is ready to commit his future to the reigning European champions.

"The renewal is very close," he told AS .

"It is a matter of finding the time to do so. This is where I'm making my life now and I feel very comfortable, I do not want to change. I have found happiness and contentment."

Satisfaction

Marquez, who has won just about every domestic honour during his time at Camp Nou, has also set his sights on becoming Barcelona's most celebrated foreign star of all-time, surpassing Philip Cocu's total of 292 appearances for the club.

"I do not want to have nothing to show for all my years here," he added, with 227 outings already under his belt.

"We have already achieved important things and I will remember them fondly, and it is a source of satisfaction for me.

"I would like to stay here much longer. I'm waiting for things to happen and hopefully I can reach Cocu's total of games."



Marquez close to new dealFC Dallas close practices to focus