Thursday, September 17, 2009

Injury woe for Uche

Injury woe for Uche

Real Zaragoza could be without striker Ikechukwu Uche for the remainder of the season with a knee injury.

The Nigeria international tore a cruciate knee ligament in his left knee in Saturday's 4-1 La Liga defeat to Sevilla.

The former Getafe hit-man will undergo surgery in the coming days and the prognosis is he could be sidelined for anywhere up to eight months.

Uche is certain the miss the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations in the New Year and could also sit out next summer's World Cup finals if Nigeria qualify.

He is bitterly disappointed to have suffered the injury, but he is still hoping to be fit for South Africa next summer.

Disappointment

"I'm disappointed. It's a big blow for me to have injured my cruciate," he said.

"My left knee is in pain. I'm just waiting for the swelling to come down so that I can have my operation.

"Hopefully I'll return before the World Cup if my country qualifies, but my Africa Cup of Nations is over for me."

Zaragoza coach Marcelino expressed his disappointment, stating: "This is bad news for the club because the kid has worked hard over the summer."



Davis: The joy of settled defenseUche to stay at Almeria