Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pires has no plans to retire

Pires has no plans to retire

Villarreal playmaker Robert Pires has revealed he has no current plans to retire from football.

The 35-year-old is currently contracted to the Yellow Submarine until 2010 having penned a new deal in April this year.

Pires is still enjoying his time at Villarreal and explained he could take up an ambassador role when he eventually calls an end to his playing days.

He told Le 10 Sport : "I consider myself a survivor. I feel fine both physically and mentally. I am in no rush to stop my career.

"The chairman has a project. After my career, I could represent the club abroad or during draws for competitions. I could embody its image notably to meet the players."

Pires also reflected on his return to Arsenal earlier this year when Villarreal tackled the Gunners in the UEFA Champions League.

The Frenchman, who spent six years at Arsenal, said: "My comeback at Arsenal? I still have shivers thinking about it.

"I know English fans have good memories. But it was beyond everything. They gave me ovation before, during and after the match.

"All match long, while Arsenal played at home, I heard the stadium chanting my name. I almost had tears in my eyes. I will never forget."



Zokora targets Sevilla gloryBarca display brilliance in Seattle