Sunday, February 1, 2009

Aguirre: I Do Not Fear Losing The Atletico Madrid Job

Goals from Luis Prieto and Victor helped seal a 2-1 win for Vicente Calderon visitors Valladolid this afternoon, heaping further misery onto Atletico coach Javier Aguirre amid fears he may be sacked in the week ahead.

Atletico's form in the month of January has been shocking, particularly in the defeats to Valencia and Athletic Bilbao, and their winless run has seen them slip further away from the coveted Champions League positions.

The Atletico supporters are becoming increasingly vocal regarding the position of Aguirre and the standard of football that his side are producing, but the man himself is not concerned about losing his job.

He told journalists, "Am I afraid for my job? I have had nothing communicated to me about this so no, I am not.

"I have signed a contract here and I have not heard anything to suggest that the contract will end before its terms have been met."

Not An Issue

Aguirre was defiant in the face of a barrage of questions regarding whether he may walk away before he is sacked.

Noticeably frustrated, he said, "I do not understand how this is an issue right now. It is clear to me that this is a bad day in my job.

"If I did not see a reaction from the players in the dressing room, I would be worried, but I have faith in my work with them. I hope soon we are talking about something else."

Next weekends' clash away to Recreativo has now became pivotal to the future of Aguirre and Atletico - whether he believes it to be true or not.

Paul Macdonald, Goal.com



Atlético Madrid’s Johnny Heitinga Unconcerned By Criticism
Newcastle United After Atlético Madrid’s Luis García - Reports
Crew add Iribarren to coaching staff