Saturday, February 7, 2009

Karim Benzema Ready To Stay With Lyon

There is barely a club worth mentioning that has not been linked with French starlet Karim Benzema in recent months, but, despite the recent hype, the 21-year-old forward is ready to remain in Lyon for approximately the next 18 months.

The hopes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Milan et al. of signing the French international striker in the coming months appear very slim indeed after revelations ‘Benzinho’ made in an interview with Aujourd’hui Sport.

“I feel good in Lyon,” he stated. “I don’t know [if I will go]. Or rather, I think I will stay with Lyon.”

Under contract until 2013, Benzema has a release clause in his deal valued at €100 million, however, it would seem that the player’s medium-term aspirations lay at the Stade Gerland. The Champions League has become a holy grail for les Gones and Benzema is keen that his side eventually reach the pinnacle of the European game.

“We’ll see how far we go [this season],” he said, doubtless mindful that Barcelona lie in wait. “Then I will speak of my future. For now, there are plenty of nice things to be doing here. I’m in no hurry to leave.”

Despite this, Benzema did concede that one day he will play in a foreign land. “If I want to go higher, I will have to leave France,” he admitted. “It’s my goal that I will one day play abroad. Lyon is a great club but there are also others. I want to build a list.”

After an electric start to the season, Benzema’s form, along with Lyon’s, has faded a little. The locally-born player will be aiming for les Gones to get back to winning ways on Sunday, when they face Nice at the Stade du Ray.

Robin Bairner, Goal.com




Cunningham ready to make mark for Hoops
McCarty back in Hoops’ fold
Barcelona Can Win The Copa Del Rey - Henry