Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Beckham Disappointed After England Defeat; Coy On Milan Link

England midfielder David Beckham was unable to turn the tide during his second-half substitute appearance against Spain in La Furia Roja's 2-0 win over the Three Lions.

Speaking to ITV after the game, the 33-year-old said, "They were always going to bring pressure, and they were always going to keep the ball well. Their players pass well, too.

"They got two good goals - the first one obviously had a great finish and the second one came from a free-kick - and overall maybe they deserve it. But we'll move on."

Record Breaker

Beckham became England's joint second-most capped player along with Bobby Moore after making his 108th appearance, 17 short of Peter Shilton's record but two clear of Sir Bobby Charlton.

He said of the accolade, "No, I didn't imagine this. I've always said I'm honoured to be up there with Sir Bobby Charlton - and Bobby Moore - and I'm very honoured with that.

"But more important is the game, we lost tonight so we were disappointed. But I'm still honoured.

"Why have I lasted this long? I don't know. I always work hard on my game, and what I'm doing, and I've had great managers along the way.

"I'm enjoying my football. As long as I enjoy myself and keep fit I'll keep going. I hope to continue."

Milan Calling?

Talk inevitably turned to Beckham's potential transfer from Los Angeles Galaxy to AC Milan, but the midfielder was not willing to offer too much on this matter.

"We'll have to wait and see," he said.

"I've expressed my feelings about it, but we'll have to wait and see."

Steve Michaels, Goal.com


Arena: Beckham won’t be distraction
Rumors from overseas surround Galaxy
Beckham Will Go Back To Los Angeles Galaxy - Cantamessa