Thursday, May 29, 2008

Piqué At Barça To Win Champions League

The Spanish defender re-joined his boyhood club from Manchester United this week in a deal reported to be worth an initial £5 million, after struggling to attain a regular starting spot at Old Trafford.

And the talented youngster admits that he will complete a lifelong dream by playing for the Blaugrana next season.

“It is a dream I have had since I was small. I used to go the ground when I was young and played at all youth levels until I was 17, and when I left I knew there was a risk I’d never come back,” he told the club’s official website.

“Returning is a dream come true and playing for Barca is something you can’t describe in words. It’ll be so nice.”

Above all, though, he's after continental success.

“Of course I am hungry to win, if I'm not at 21... I have won the league and Champions League with Manchester and if I can do that with Barça that would be even better, because it’s my team,” he beamed.

“It would be great to win the league, the Champions League, everything we possibly can. People always remember you for the things you have won.”

Messi Messiah

Piqué, who is yet to win a full Spanish cap, is keen to link up with Lionel Messi with his new club.

“Yes, yes [it will be great to play with Messi],” he added.

“I remember when we were young and wondering if we could do this professionally. What he does now is what he always did, and it was and will be a pleasure to be with him.”

The former Manchester United man, who was an unused substitute in Moscow for the Champions League victory over Chelsea, feels that he will achieve more success under new head coach Josep Guardiola, who he has backed to succeed.

“I didn’t know him personally when I was young but he was one of my heroes when my dad brought me to games, he always spoke about him, and what a leader he is,” Pique stated.

“It is important to have a coach like that. There is trust and with him we will win titles and the fans will be proud of us.”

Proud, Very Proud

The tall defender concluded by discussing the differences between the Spanish and English cultures and discussed the influence that Sir Alex Ferguson had had on his budding career.

“It’s a different culture. Professionally in Spain I have only been on loan to Zaragoza but you can still make comparisons,” he said.

“There is a distance between Manchester and Zaragoza. Ferguson was more like a father to the players than a manager. In fact a manager is not the same as a coach, which is what Carlos Queiroz did - he prepared the training sessions.

“Sir Alex Ferguson is closer, he is about the way you live and feel inside the club.”


Piqué: It Is A Dream Come True
Fergie Slams Madrid’s Ronaldo ‘Nonsense’
Calderón: Barça’s Man Utd Draw Shows Spanish League Is Strong
Forlan Backing Barca To Beat United