Saturday, May 31, 2008

Josemi To Leave Villarreal

Josemi took part in just one Liga game last season, playing all 90 minutes during his side's 4-3 win over Deportivo.

Although his campaign was dogged by injury, it's also indicative of his status at El Madrigal, where he is largely seen as surplus to requirements. As such, he's looking to move on.

He said, "I just met with José Manuel Llaneza [CEO of Villarreal] and I raised the topic of my future, which will see me play next year at another club," he said.

"I'm eager to avoid another season like this, in which I was unable to play.

"The club told me that if I can find a valid option elsewhere they won't stand in my way, so now I'll need to wait and see if suitable options present themselves."

Mutually Beneficial

The Málaga-born stopper felt that this was the best course of action for both himself and the club.

"I have two more years of my contract and I think that this is best for both of us - I want to play and they want to recover some of their investment," he said.

"Valencia's interest? This isn't something I've heard personally - it's just from agents and the press. I can't deny the excitement of having such a club supposedly looking at me, but I can't say anything more."

The 28-year-old concluded by saying that his injury situation was progressing nicely and that he should be able to complete pre-season with normality.


Vieira has no desire to leave
Villarreal Silent Over English Rumours