Friday, May 2, 2008

Aguirre Well Supported For Run-In

Atlético have stuttered in recent weeks, picking up just two points from the last nine on offer, but despite criticism of the team from club-president Enrique Cerezo, Aguirre feels that there is enough camaraderie in his squad to see them through until the end of the campaign.

"I do not feel alone. I have the support of my players and of the club. They have showed this to me and others both actively and passively, in public and in private. I feel well and ready for the final games of the season," he told reporters at a press conference on Friday.

"The president called me by telephone that morning and explained his words; I transferred his message onto the players, and I think that is where the subject ended. I do not believe that it will have an effect on the players and cannot be used as an excuse for a bad result."

Aguirre is unconcerned with rumours suggesting that Atlético have begun to search for a new coach for next season, insisting that "such flirtation is a part of the game these days," and indicating that he would not let "things that happen around the club" effect his work as coach.

"After spending the whole year in the European positions, I cannot be distracted in these last four matches. I am not going let it happen to me, or to my players. We have an obligation in these four matches to give our best in order to get the club into the Champions League," he affirmed.

"That is why we were brought here and that is what they pay us for. We will then wait for events after the 18th May."


Sevilla And Valencia Track Jonás
Mönchengladbach travel to the USA