Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Villa reveals English interest

Villa reveals English interest

David Villa has put his Premier League suitors on alert by revealing that he will consider his Valencia future at the end of the season.

The Spain international has established himself as one of the finest strikers in world football during his four-year stay with Valencia.

He remains happy with his current club but has hinted that it may soon be time to explore other options after being linked with a big-money move to England last summer.

"Quite simply, I rejected the possibility of moving abroad at that moment because there were issues that would not allow me to leave my country," Villa told The Times .

"My wife was pregnant and it didn't seem right to leave.

"I like the Premier League a lot. It's the league I follow the most along with La Liga and I've got a lot of friends playing there.

"There are a lot of globally important teams there that play very good football."

Duty

Villa has enjoyed another splendid campaign with Valencia and is staying focused on playing as well as he can over the next few months leading up to the World Cup.

"I have a duty to Valencia, it's my club: the one that pays my wages and with whom I have a contract," he said.

"This summer they'll have a look at things, analyse them and in time we'll see what happens.

"All I can do now is stay relaxed, try and score as many goals as possible and have a good a season as possible, as much as with my club as with the national team."

Showcase

Villa is fully aware that many of his countrymen have taken the plunge in recent years and started to play their trade overseas, notably in England.

"Maybe quite a few years ago, Spanish players were reluctant to leave La Liga for another league," he said.

"But that's all changed now. There are very important players, a showcase of Spanish footballers playing for Premier League clubs; and there are players in other leagues, lesser leagues, as well.

"I think that the Spanish footballer has changed in this aspect in the last few years."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}World Cup - Top Goalscorer: Villa, D. 10/1

Reports: Donovan could join Everton on loanPennant happy in Spain