Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Raul unconcerned by role

Raul unconcerned by role

Real Madrid striker Raul insists he is not worried by his role at the club after being relegated to the bench of late.

The club's all-time leading scorer has found himself used as a substitute recently having previously been a first-team regular over the years.

Competition for places intensified over the summer following the arrivals of Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Karim Benzema.

The 32-year-old marksman has started less than half of Real's Liga matches, scoring five league goals from his 12 appearances.

Important

Raul insists he remains an important part of Manuel Pellegrini's team and has no problems with the Argentine tactician.

"Since I arrived at 17, my role in the club has always been important and will continue being (that way)," said Raul.

"I understand the coach and I have no problem with that. As a professional, I accept it.

"Even though I'm playing less, like everyone has seen, I'm training and fighting to keep playing and to enjoy the profession I love most - football."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}La Liga 2009/10 Win Outright: Real Madrid 2/1