Sunday, December 13, 2009

Harry rules out Ruud move

Harry rules out Ruud move

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has ruled out making a move for Real Madrid striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Van Nistelrooy is expected to leave Real in the January transfer window after dropping down the pecking order at El Santiago Bernabeu.

The likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Blackburn have all been linked with the former Manchester United hit-man, but Redknapp insists he will not be making an approach for the Dutchman.

Redknapp believes van Nistelrooy still has plenty to offer, but feels he has enough options in attack at White Hart Lane.

"He's a top player, if he's anywhere near fit I'm sure he can still play for a while but I've never enquired for him," Redknapp said.

"Sam's [Allardyce] dug a few out like that over the years - he would come over here and score, he always has done.

"I can see him going somewhere like Arsenal. Tottenham is a big club - we shouldn't be afraid to compete with these clubs in the transfer market.

"But what would I do? I have Crouch, Keane and Defoe and Pav. If I got Van Nistelrooy, I give myself another problem."

Meanwhile, Redknapp has called on Jermain Defoe to keep scoring goals to secure his place in England's squad for the World Cup.

Michael Owen enhanced his chances of winning a recall to the England fold with a hat-trick against Wolfsburg in midweek and Redknapp knows Defoe has to maintain his form to stay ahead of the competition for a place in Fabio Capello's squad

"Jermain is so sharp and lively," added Redknapp. "You see him out there in training and he is bright as a button.

"I would definitely see him going to the World Cup but it is not up to me.

"It is not impossible (for Owen to go ahead of Defoe). I think they are both great strikers. We have got Wayne Rooney and then it is competition for places after that.

"I think Jermain has got to keep scoring because he knows there is competition for places."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}Tottenham v Wolves Correct Score: Tottenham 3-0 7/1