Thursday, December 24, 2009

Ayala reveals River wish

Ayala reveals River wish

Roberto Ayala has admitted that he would welcome the opportunity to return to River Plate next summer.

The veteran defender is currently on the books of Real Zaragoza, but will see his contract with the Spaniards expire at the end of the season.

The 36-year-old is already pondering the next step in his distinguished career and has revealed that he would like to head home.

River, with whom he made his name in the mid-90s, have expressed an interest and Ayala would be happy to talk terms with the Buenos Aires-based outfit.

"I have said that I would like the challenge, but we will see what happens," he told Ole .

"Going to River would be great. (Chairman Daniel) Passarella has called me and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that River are interested.

"I was not able to enjoy my experience there as much as I would like last time, but the club opened the door to Europe for me and I will always be grateful to them."

No deal yet

Ayala is excited by the prospect of working with Passarella again, the man who gave him his big break at River and with the Argentina national side.

"(Coach) Leo Astrada knows me and knows what I can offer," he added.

"The same is true of Passarella, as he took a chance on me during my first spell with River and with the national team.

"There is nothing formal yet, but I like the idea.

"The interest is there and we will see what happens. I am committed to Zaragoza until June, I am under contract, but after that we'll see."



Zaragoza to offload PennantRSL, Espindola reach contract extension