Sunday, December 27, 2009

Messi rounds off perfect year

Messi rounds off perfect year

Lionel Messi admits his achievements in a trophy-laden 2009 have surpassed his 'wildest dreams'.

The Barcelona superstar has claimed every prize he has been in the running for this season, with individual and team honours secured at every turn.

The Argentina international helped Barca make history as they won six titles in the space of 12 glittering months, while he has also been named Fifa World Player of the Year and won the Ballon d'Or.

Things could not have gone any better for Messi and his Catalan employers and the South American playmaker admitted as much after being appointed the best player on the planet at a star-studded ceremony on Monday.

"This is the best possible way to end a great year for Barcelona and for me," he said.

"Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that I would experience the year I have."

Special

Messi was up for the Player of the Year gong alongside club team-mates Xavi and Andres Iniesta, but he believes any one of Pep Guardiola's all-conquering side would have been deserving of a nomination.

"Any Barcelona player who has been involved this year deserves to win because what we have achieved is special," he added.

"I was fortunate to help us to many wins, true, but everything is the product of team work. I was fortunate to be the one to get the goals."

Despite having won just about every major honour at the age of 22, Messi insists he will not be resting on his laurels in the future.

"I will not relax now," he said.

"I am still very young and I have a lot to live for and a lot to try and achieve. You can always get better."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}Champions League Top Goalscorer 09/10: Messi, L. 15/2

RSL adds Thompson in MLS Waiver DraftMessi hails team-mates