Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sheva shunned United and Barca

Sheva shunned United and Barca

Andriy Shevchenko has claimed he turned down the chance to join Manchester United and Barcelona in favour of AC Milan.

The Ukraine star was one of the hottest properties in Europe back in 1999 after bursting onto the scene with Dynamo Kyiv.

Shevchenko surely had the pick of Europe's top clubs, although it is only now he has revealed exactly who was in the running as he opted for Italian giants Milan.

Yet it is a decision he does not regret as in seven years with the Rossoneri he helped them win Serie A, the Coppa Italia and the Champions League, as well as winning the Ballon d'Or in 2004 - the European Footballer of the Year award.

"I had the opportunity to play for Barcelona and Manchester United when I was 22 but I chose Milan," he said.

Pride

"And the club were successful, winning everything possible - including the Champions League - and I won the Ballon d'Or. I'm proud of my career."

Shevchenko left Milan for Chelsea in 2006 but failed to reproduce the blistering form he showed in Italy, where he scored 173 goals in 296 appearances during his first spell with Milan.

The 33-year-old, who missed a penalty in Ukraine's 1-0 World Cup qualifying win over England last Saturday, had an unsuccessful loan spell back at Milan last season and returned to his homeland this summer with Dynamo.

"Nothing lasts forever," he added. "I'm 33 and I don't know how long I'll be fit enough to play.

"But for the final few years of my career I want to be on the pitch where I started my career."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}Ukraine 1/50, Draw 9/1, Andorra 40/1

Milan agree Huntelaar dealDynamo edge Monterrey in Charities Cup