Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Raul delighted with record

Raul delighted with record

Raul admitted he never dreamt he would go on to achieve so much at Real Madrid after he broke the club's all time appearance record on Saturday.

The striker celebrated the occasion with two goals against Valladolid to rack up his 711th appearance for Los Blancos beating Manuel Sanchis' record in the process.

Many felt the Real captain would have to make do with a more reserved role this term following the high profile summer arrivals of Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Karim Benzema but four goals from nine appearances this season has proved the doubters wrong.

Raul was credibly modest about the achievement and insisted he would have never got near the total without the help of his team-mates.

"This is incredible and I never believed I would add this many appearances for this club," he said.

"Now I fulfil 15 years at Real and if we analyse the numbers it is not easy. I am very happy and now I dream to win more titles this season.

"I am pleased with the gesture the club gave me before the match and I have always given my maximum on the field.

"This is my philosophy of life. My team-mates are decisive for the success in front of goal. Without the help of my team-mates I would never have reached this number."



Raul wants Euro successSalt Lake seeks first win over Red Bulls