Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Benzema keen to prove worth

Benzema keen to prove worth

Karim Benzema is hoping to force his way back into the first-team reckoning at Real Madrid.

The France international was one of a host of big-money arrivals at Santiago Bernabeu over the summer, with Real president Florentino Perez ushering in a new Galacticos era in the Spanish capital.

Having established a glowing reputation during his days with Lyon in his homeland, much was expected of the burly 22-year-old.

He initially settled well in the Primera Liga, quickly becoming an established member of Manuel Pellegrini's starting XI.

However, he has slipped down the pecking order of late and regularly finds himself among the Real substitutes.

Motivated

Benzema admits the situation is far from ideal, with the World Cup fast approaching, but is adamant that he has the ability to become a leading light in Real's galaxy of stars.

"In a way, yes, I am disappointed to have become a substitute," he told L'Equipe .

"But this is part of my job. I am at a big club and I am still learning. I won't get angry with things.

"I am working hard to convince the coach that I can be trusted. I am still very motivated and I would like to play all the time.

"I am experiencing a time when I am a substitute at the moment, but it is up to me to find a position in the starting XI again."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}David Villa's Club after Jan Transfer Window By End of January Transfer Window: Real Madrid 14/1

West notes: Seattle looking ahead to 2010Raul unconcerned by role