Friday, January 29, 2010

Ronaldo rues red card ruling

Ronaldo rues red card ruling

Cristiano Ronaldo has been angered by latest red card and claims his two-match ban for his dismissal against Malaga is "excessive".

Real Madrid's world record signing scored both goals to inspire the Spanish giants to a 2-0 win last weekend but marred his match-winning performance by being shown his second red card of the season.

The Portuguese international was given his marching orders in the 70th minute of the Primera Division encounter after his swinging elbow caught Patrick Mtiliga in the face.

Real have appealed the decision with a hearing set for Thursday and Ronaldo believes the ban is harsh despite breaking the Denmark defender's nose.

"Obviously I don't like it," the Ј80million player told AS . "I think the punishment is excessive and I hope the appeals committee reduce it.

"I want to play every week and I'm angry.

"My intention was always to play. It was never my intention to deceive the referee. I just tried to get rid of the Malaga player marking me. I hit him and I asked for his forgiveness. I'm very sorry about his nose."

If Real are unsuccessful in their appeal, Ronaldo, who has scored nine league goals this term, will miss Saturday's testing trip to fifth-placed Deportivo La Coruna as well as the home clash with Espanyol.

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}Real Madrid 10/11, Draw 9/4, Deportivo 11/4

Combine notes: Prospects must now waitRonaldo hit with two-match ban