Saturday, January 9, 2010

Quiet January for Guardiola

Quiet January for Guardiola

Pep Guardiola has revealed that Barcelona are not planning to venture into the transfer market to cover for African duo Yaya Toure and Seydou Keita.

Ivory Coast midfielder Toure and Keita of Mali are both on international duty at the African Nations Cup and their absence will leave Barca short during January.

A host of names have been mentioned as possible new recruits but Guardiola maintains that he has no plans to look outside his squad.

The Barca boss has faith in the club's younger players and intends to give the likes of Jonathan dos Santos, Thiago Alcantara, Victor Vazquez and Gai Assulin the chance to shine.

"As far as I know we have nothing planned," said Guardiola when asked about the likelihood of new arrivals this month.

"It's not worth it to bring in a player for one month.

"In the centre of midfield I've got a lot of options. I have five central midfielders, plus the players in the reserves.

"For one month I'd prefer to give them an opportunity, I know them and I know they will do well."



Toure happy at BarcaGeneration adidas concludes tour with victory