Monday, January 25, 2010

Hamburg land Van Nistelrooy

Hamburg land Van Nistelrooy

Bundesliga outfit Hamburg have won the race to sign Ruud van Nistelrooy from Real Madrid.

The Dutch striker had featured prominently on the January wish list of numerous top clubs, with his prolific goalscoring exploits marking him out as a useful acquisition.

The former Manchester United frontman had been strongly linked with a return to the Premier League, with West Ham, Tottenham Hotspur and Stoke City known to be courting his services.

However, the 33-year-old has opted against a second stint in England, choosing instead to head for Germany.

He underwent a medical at Hamburg on Saturday, which he passed with flying colours despite seeing his career of late littered with niggling knocks.

Ambition

Van Nistelrooy has now signed a one-and-a-half-year deal at the AOL Arena.

He joins Hamburg with the club sat fifth in the Bundesliga table, five appoints adrift of league leaders Bayern Munich.

"I am very happy that it worked out and look forward to Monday when I will arrive in Hamburg," Van Nistelrooy said on the club's official website .

"Hamburg is a fantastic club with a strong team and great ambitions. I also have great ambitions."

He added: "And then I obviously hope that the national team coach gives me a call and that I can go to the World Cup."

Delighted

Hamburg coach Bruno Labbadia was delighted to have secured the services of the prolific Dutchman.

He said: "Ruud has proved his qualities impressively at some of Europe's top clubs. I am convinced that he will also score some important goals for HSV.

"It just emphasises the reputation of our club that a player like Ruud van Nistelrooy decides to join Hamburg."

Van Nistelrooy will leave Real with nothing but good things to say about his treatment in the Spanish capital.

"I have got to say that Real have behaved really well," he said. "The management have not put any obstacles in my way. I think a video will be shown before the game (against Malaga on Sunday) and then I will do a lap of honour. I really had a fantastic time in Madrid."