Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sinama-Pongolle: Atletico Will Fight For All Three Titles

After years of disappointment and false hope, Atletico Madrid are on track for one of their more successful campaigns in a long while.

They are currently sitting in third spot in the Primera Division ladder and they are also in the last 16 of the Champions League, where they will meet FC Porto in the first knockout round. They have a slightly more arduous task in the Copa del Rey having been pitted against Barcelona in the next phase but striker, Florent Sinama-Pongolle is confident that Los Colchoneros can challenge for all three titles.

“We have options to win La Liga, the Champions League and the Copa and we want to fight in all three competitions,” he was quoted as saying by AS.

“But our objective for 2009 is to simply continue what we have been doing until now and overcome all our difficult games with tranquillity and confidence. That is the key,” he added.

As for his own personal goal, the Frenchman offered: “When I get my chance to play, I’ll make the most of it.

“I have been working well on my own as well as with the rest of the group. Physically, I’m at a good level and I’m satisfied with my performances.

“I would’ve liked more minutes on the pitch but that does not bother me.”

Finally, the 24-year-old urged his team to put the humiliating 6-1 mauling by Barca behind them when the two sides go head to head again in the Copa.

“It is necessary to forget about that one game and try to beat Barcelona this time and win back our pride,” he concluded.

KS Leong, Goal.com




Dynamo to face Atlante in Champions League
Copa Del Rey Preview: Atlético Madrid - Orihuela
Now Atlético Madrid Can Fight For Their Objective - Raúl García