Sunday, December 28, 2008

Messi Looks Forward To Success With Barcelona

Barcelona might have enjoyed a superb second-half to this year, but it should not be forgotten that 2008 was not all good for the Catalan side.

The current La Liga leaders failed to win any silverware last season, and watched as arch-rivals Real Madrid picked up their second straight league title.

Speaking to Sport.es today, Lionel Messi said that to lose the league was 'hard', but that he is optimistic about the future.

"Right now I believe that we are on the right track, and, if we continue like this, we can achieve many things, with humility," he mused.

"We have desires to work and to grow, but always with the calmness and unity that we feel as a group.

"I expected the team to show that we are capable of this, and also a lot more."

Worryingly for all the other teams in Spain, Barcelona already appear to have La Liga wrapped up, with a ten point lead established following their win over Villarreal.

As always, Messi has been integral to the success of the side, but he believes that he could have been better throughout the year.

"Individually, I believe that I could have done more, but I am not complaining, because I finished the year well," he opined.

"I feel like I am growing with each game, and I know that time will make me more and more mature."

Coaching Change

Aside from the players though, one of the great successes at Barcelona had been Pep Guardiola, who took over as coach at the beginning of the season.

The former player might have lost to Numancia on the opening day, but since then his side have been outstanding. Messi has nothing but praise for him either, saying his quick adaption has not surprised him, then going on to say how he still feels part of the game.

"I believe that he understands us so well because he manages like he was playing with us," he declared.

"Personally he understand me well and he knows what he can give us. He is a player as well as a coach, he knows how to transmit his experience and everything he went through in his time."

In typical Messi style, he also remained remarkably modest, when questioned about claims he has to be the best player on the planet.

"In reality I never worry about that, all I care about is to do the best for my team and to obtain collective titles," he said.

"Individual awards, if they have to come, will come, but I do not worry about them, because I do not seek them.

"I only think about my team, and the prizes that Barcelona can win."

Lastly, Messi had a few words for arch-rivals Real Madrid, who he said are still competitors and will return to challenge quickly.

James Walker-Roberts, Goal.com


Cunningham hungry for success
Barcelona Chief Laporta: Messi Makes Me Proud