Saturday, December 27, 2008

Casquero Wants Trophy And Spain Call

Javi Casquero has revealed that his dream is to play for Spain before he retires and also wants to help Getafe to go one better than last term and win a trophy.

The 32-year-old midfielder wants to taste life at the highest level and hopes to attract the attention of the Spanish coach, Vicente del Bosque, with an impressive second half to the season.

After leaving Sevilla in 2005, following a five-year stay, Casquero moved to Racing and then on to Getafe, where he has become a regular figure as los Azulones have risen to prominence.

"I want to win a trophy and to play for the national tam. To be an international means playing at the highest level and that is what I want," he told AS.

"It does not add pressure on me though because I do not think about it every day, even though I cannot hide the fact that I would love it."

Michael Laudrup was a fan of Casquero and there were reports that the Dane wanted to take him to Spartak Moscow when he left Geta in the summer, but the nothing ever materialised.

"They told me about it, that there were rumours but I did not think about them. I am really enjoying myself here," Casquero explained.

Last term, Casquero was part of an Getafe team that reached the final of the Copa del Rey, where they lost to Valencia, and the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup, where they went out on away goals to Bayern Munich.

"It would appear to be unrepeatable, but with Getafe you never know and we are always looking to improve and do better," he continued.

"The cup final was great and, above all, the UEFA Cup. It was new for everyone and we all enjoyed ourselves a lot.

"When you see the teams that have gone out at the first stage of the competition this year then you have to value what we did even more."

Lucas Brown, Goal.com




Crew honored at Ohio Statehouse
Casillas Hoping For A Memorable 2009 With Real Madrid
Lewis: Right team emerged with Cup