Saturday, December 27, 2008

Barcelona Stars Travel Far And Wide For Festivities

Lionel Messi is in Argentina, Eidur Gudjohnsen headed north to spend the festive period in Iceland and Dani Alves went back to Brazil to celebrate.

The Spanish league does have a break, but it is in fact just one weekend without games and all the players have to report back a few days before things resume on January 3.

Alves told Barça's official website: "I’ll be spending Christmas in Brazil with my family who I haven’t seen for almost a year," while Samuel Eto'o revealed: "like other Christmases, this year I’ll be with my parents and I’ll be having a good time with my kids like any other Dad would. Merry Christmas to everyone."

Despite having relations in Catalunya, Messi explained that: "I’ll be in Argentina, in my hometown Rosario, with my friends and family as I’ve always done. Plus it’ll be hot, not like here."

Gudjohnsen was the most descriptive as he stated that his children could well benefit from a combination of Icelandic and Catalan traditions and have two celebrations.

"I’m off to Iceland to spend the holidays with my family and kids. I hope to be able to play in the snow up there and see Father Christmas," he said.

"In my country we give our presents on the 24th in the evening, and we don’t have the Spanish tradition of presents at Epiphany, but when we come back to Barcelona I reckon my kids’ll be able to celebrate it as well. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!"

Lucas Brown, Goal.com




Hoops eye South American talent
Avila looks to build upon rookie season in 2009
Spanish Prime Minister: Barcelona Will Beat Madrid 5-1!