Sunday, December 28, 2008

Negredo Criticises Real Madrid Youth System

Álvaro Negredo might be plying his trade with Almería these days, but the big Spanish striker has not forgotten his roots.

Amidst much talk of Real Madrid's youth system recently, the free-scoring target man spoke to AS today about his former club, and didn't have too many kind words for them.

"There are staff cuts, but that happens in other teams too and still people come up from the youth team," he mused.

"The youth set-up must have work done to it, and at the moment Real Madrid are not doing that."

Negredo has been one of the in-form players in La Liga this season, creating plenty of speculation that he could be line for a national team call-up. However, despite the fact that he sounds like he would want nothing more than to play for Spain, he knows it is a tough road.

"It is the dream of every player to wear the Spanish shirt, that is my main objective, and I hope that some day it will happen," he declared.

"Things are going well, but until my debut I cannot see myself in the team. There are players in front of me, that is clear, but I will keep on trying."

With his rise in form and popularity, there have also been rumours that he could well leave Almería soon to play at a bigger club. Negredo insists that he does not want to leave, although he is interested in the lure of European football.

"I like to watch the Champions League, they are always good [games], and I hope that one day I can play in it," he said.

"I would like to grow in the league. If teams have noticed me that is good, but until the end of the season I do not want to hear anything. The objective now is to continue working and growing.

"I believe that although things are not going well at Almería at the moment, we will continue to improve, and the results will come."

James Walker-Roberts, Goal.com


Now Atlético Madrid Can Fight For Their Objective - Raúl García
A season of firsts for Real Salt Lake