Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Messi plays down comparisons

Messi plays down comparisons

Lionel Messi claims those comparing him to Diego Maradona are undermining the greatest player of all time.

The Barcelona forward has been in electrifying form this season, leading some to suggest that he has already eclipsed the standard set by his fellow Argentine.

Messi, though, has been quick to dampen such talk, insisting he is yet to justify such high praise.

He believes his international coach, Maradona, will never be matched and feels anyone who believes otherwise is kidding themselves.

"I am thankful to everyone that says positive things about me but I can't accept any comparison with Maradona," Messi told Perros de la Calle .

History

"Even if I play for a million years I will never be near to what Maradona was as a footballer, and I don't want to be near.

"He is the best player of all time. I don't compare myself with Maradona, I want to make my own history and do something important with my own career."

Messi has also sought to answer those critics who continue to question why he is unable to perform at the same level for his country as he does for Barcelona.

"The answer is that it is very different playing for Barcelona as it is for the national team," he said.

"That doesn't mean that the players in the national team aren't good players, they are of great quality, but we don't have enough time working together.

"Everything happens so fast, we have two days together and then we have to play. When we have more time working together, things could change."

Dream

That could be at this summer's World Cup, with Messi of the opinion that Argentina can bounce back from a faltering qualification campaign to land the global crown.

"We all dream of winning the World Cup," added Messi.

"I imagine it would be the greatest thing in a footballer's career.

"It is better that we head to the competition as an outsider because we can surprise people."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}Argentina Stage Of Elimination. Click here to bet.

Bradley names roster to face NetherlandsMessi thanks team-mates