Thursday, March 11, 2010

Caparros pens Bilbao contract

Caparros pens Bilbao contract

Joaquin Caparros has signed a one-year contract extension with Primera Liga outfit Athletic Bilbao.

His current deal was set to expire at the end of the season, but the experienced coach will now remain at San Mames for a further 12 months.

The former Sevilla and Deportivo La Coruna boss is delighted to have prolonged his association with the club, insisting he has no desire to work anywhere else.

"It gives me great satisfaction to have a fourth year in a club as big, important and historic," he said, before turning his attention to the future.

"If anything, I have more hope now than the first day. We will now continue to work as before. I had no doubts. I enjoy every [training] session and this has made me enjoy being here and no doubt I will continue to do so. Now we have to aspire to new challenges."

Caparros took the Bilbao post in 2007 and becomes only the third coach in sixty years to enjoy a four-year tenure at the club.

He is only the sixth manager in the club's history to reach a fourth year, with the club renowned for their lack of patience in managerial matters.