Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Forlán Pleased To Make Liga History

The former Villarreal striker hit Spanish goal number 68 in his side's 6-3 win over UD Almería on Sunday afternoon to outdo Jose Luis Zalazar, who managed 67 strikes over seven seasons with Albacete.

Thus Forlán enters the Spanish and Uruguayan history books, much to his delight.

He told Marca, "There are different positions, different teams and different moments.

"But I had no idea that I could achieve this record until I hit goal 67 [against Levante at the Vicente Calderón] and ever since I got there, I wanted to hit number 68.

"So, by scoring goal 68 I entered the history of the Spanish Liga. I'm very proud, because there have been some great forwards here over the years.

"It's very important, especially with all the great players from my country who have passed through Spanish football. I'm very proud."

Diego is also the holder of the EFE Trophy for the best Latin American player in Spanish football.